March 10, 2014

Coconut Strawberry Shortcake (low carb)

Here's another low carb treat. I am more impressed with myself on this one. On my third attempt I have figured out the best low carb shortcake mix (so far). I was nervous because the first two weren't quite right and this one I was making for our friends who invited us over for dinner. Luckily they absolutely loved it, especially because they are living low carb as well. It's moist and delicately rich, and it's really simple. Can you tell we are obsessed now? It's our go-to dessert (the second being the Low Carb Chocolate Fondue). I would love to do this and take step by step pictures but I haven't felt like making time for that (everything not involving twins has to happen pretty quick around here). Besides, this isn't some food blog! I think you can figure it out from my directions alone. Alright, here it is...


Coconut Strawberry Shortcake

INGREDIENTS:
1/2 cup coconut flour, sifted
3/4 cup splenda or coconut sugar, or other sugar substitute
1/3 cup melted butter
1/3 + 1 tsp cup heavy cream
1/3 + 1 tsp cup water
2 eggs
2.5 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

INSTRUCTIONS:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Beat all ingredients for 2 minutes. Grease and flour a 9 inch cake pan and add mixture evenly. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool and add strawberries and whipped cream.

My one nasty phone picture of the final product. 


Those are the most precise measurements I can guess from my experiments. If the consistency or taste doesn't work for you, try it differently! 


1 comment: